|From log structure to modern architecture … he first worship service at St. John was held on December 6, 1868 in a public school located on St. Johns Drive in what was then known as Woodbury Township. At that time, the members traveled on foot or in horse-drawn vehicles.Typically, these parishioners were early settlers who were quite poor but very ambitious.In 1870, using their axes to cut down trees, they built a new log church. A few years later they added a Christian school. Adjacent land became the church cemetery. As the congregation grew, the members saw the need to expand and the old log church was replaced with a new church building, dedicated in November, 1903.During the early days services used the German language. After a time the church had services in both German and English. Eventually all services were in English.Throughout the 1980’s the congregation continued to grow. Not having enough land for expansion, the decision was made to move one-fourth mile south. A new church was built on land donated by a member at the present site on the corner of St Johns Drive and Valley Creek Road. The building was dedicated on December 10, 1989. The cemetery remains at the old site.
This was not the end of the building expansion. In January, 2001 a new addition to the building was dedicated. The larger facility allowed for additional classrooms, a youth room, a Fireside Room, and a chapel (furnished with the former altar, baptismal font and pews).
For more than 140 years, from humble beginnings, God has bestowed His rich blessings on St. John Lutheran Church.